Installation view. Photo Paola Bobba. Courtesy Fondazione Prada
29 Nov 1997 – 31 Jan 1998

Fondazione Prada presents two important projects by Dan Flavin (Jamaica, New York, 1933 – Riverhead, New York, 1996), one of the main protagonists of the American minimalist art movement: Untitled (1996) is a permanent installation at the church S. Maria Annunciata in Chiesa Rossa while Opere 1964-1981 is a selection of historically important works housed at the Fondazione Prada itself.

The work at the Chiesa Rossa is the last project conceived and designed by Flavin before his death, and consists of a permanent site-specific installation. This system of fluorescent lights of different colors and lengths was especially designed by the artist for the main nave and transepts of the church. The installation brings a metaphysical dimension to the immateriality of Flavin’s minimalist work and dialogues with the architecture of renowned architect Giovanni Muzio who designed the Chiesa Rossa in 1932. This work continues the tradition of dialogue between visual research and places of worship, a significant theme in modern and contemporary art as well as in architecture from Matisse to Rothko, from Nevelson to Cucchi.

The second project involves two thematic installations of Flavin’s works at the Fondazione Prada of Milan curated by Michael Govan, director of the Dia Center for the Arts in New York. The first of these consists of works of the series European Couples (1966-1976), a group of 6 squares of fluorescent tubing, each in a different colour; the second part of the show consists of a selection of Monuments for V. Tatlin (1964-1981). These ‘pseudo-monuments’ call to mind the image of the Monument at the Third International by Tatlin and become an homage to the fleeting and communicative existence of light. Featured at the Fondazione Prada’s spaces according the linear architectural layout designed by Flavin himself, these works may be considered as fresh, new readings and re-presentations of historical works by this minimalist artist.

Venue of the exhibition: Fondazione Prada, via Spartaco 8, Milan
Permanent installation: Santa Maria Annunciata in Chiesa Rossa, via Neera 24, Milan

Publications